• There are approximately 60,000 out of hospital cardiac arrests per year within the UK
  • In 2013, the emergency esrvices attempted to resuscitate approximately 28,000 people after they suffered out of hospital cardiac arrests, of those 8.6% survived to be later discharged from hospital
  • Approximately 80% of out of hospital cardiac arrests occur in the home with the remaining 20% occuring in a public place.
  • The current rate of initial bystander CPR in England is reported to be around 43% according to a survey carried out by the British Heart Foundation.
  • 12 people under the age of 35 die every week due to sudden cardiac arrest in the UK, some believe this figure is nearer 15-17 per week.
  • 270 children die in the UK per year after suffering a Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) at school
  • When someone has a cardiac arrest, every minute without CPR and defibrillation reduces their chances of survival by 7-10%
  • Currently only 20% of cardiac arrest victims are in a ‘shockable’ rhythm when the emergency services arrive to the scene; this figure can be increased if more cardiac arrest victims received immediate, effective CPR from bystander.
  • If a defibrillator is used and effective CPR is performed within 3-5 minutes of a cardiac arrest occuring then the chance of survival increases from 5% up to 75%.
  • The emergency services average response time to a cardiac event related incident in an urban area has increased from 8 to 11 minutes